Sunday, November 14, 2010

Julius Caesar/ Fall of the Roman Republic (100-44 BC)

Q: When did you and your army first set out?
A: In 58 BC.

Q: Why did Pompey ask you to disband your army?
A: He was jealous of how much my army was expanding, so he persuaded the Senate to stop me. But I didn't listen. So secretly, I led my army across the Rubicon River to Rome. I defeated Pompey and went on to control Rome.

Q: What did you do after that?
A: I forced the Senate to make me dictator so I had absolute control. I Kept most features of the Republic, but I was in control.

Q: What changes did you make?
A: I made several reforms to try and help our economy. I also created the Julian calendar (which we still use today).

Caesar's enemies feared he was getting too powerful, so on March 14, 44 BC, as he walked into the Senate, he was assassinated by its members, and the Roman Republic was over.

No comments:

Post a Comment