Sunday, November 14, 2010

Charlemagne- 768

Today, I interviewed Charlemagne himself.

Q: When did you become Emperor of the Romans?
A: In 800 I was crowned by Pope Leo III.

Q: What did you do for Christianity?
A: I strove to create a united Christian Europe. I spread Christianity all over, and with the help of my missionaries I even converted some Saxons. Eventually, I told my people that in order to live in my empire, you had to become Christian.

Q: What about your battles?
A: I made 50 military campaigns to try to expand the empire. I never lost a battle.

Q: What did you do for the people?
A: Well my empire was so big, I couldn't keep track of everyone. So first, I split the empire in 350 counties, and had one person in charge of each county. I then sent more people to check on the head of the counties to make sure everything was in order. I also felt it was important for officials to keep accurate records and write clear reports. I could read, but I couldn't write. So I set up a chain of royal schools for people to learn to read and write and become scholars.

Charlemagne died in 814 but had extended Christian civilization into northern Europe and medieval rulers tried to take example from him.

No comments:

Post a Comment